Point MacKenzie Community Council

History of Nike Missile Site

In 1959 the United States seen Point Mackenzie to play a vital role for the protection of the Elmendorf Air force base in Anchorage.  The Air force base placed a missile sites at the point and called it the Anchorage Nike Site Bay. It was operated by Charlie Company 1st Battalion, 43rd Air Defense Artillery. And was active from 1959 to 1979. From 1969 through 1971 the commanders of the facility were 1LT Richard Holbrook and then CPT James Bradley. The 2 square buildings are reinforced concrete blockhouses. Each blockhouse stored 4 Hercules missiles on single launchers which would be rolled out for launch. These blockhouses were used only in Alaska due to the harsh weather conditions.

In 1983 some parts of the area became a minimum security correctional center owned by the state of Alaska Department of Corrections.

But is now owned by the University of Alaska, the launch pad area is abandoned and now mostly used for airsoft and paintball games.